Three types of penalties for FTB late filing:
- Delinquent Filing Penalty (Individuals and Businesses)
- Return Late Filing Penalty (S Corporations, Partnerships, and LLCs treated as Partnerships)
- Demand Penalty (Individuals and Businesses)
Delinquent Filing Penalty
5% of the amount due, a maximum of 25% of the amount due
If you owe $540 or less, the total is $135 or 100% of the amount due, whichever is less.
Return Late Filing Penalty
- Before January 1, 2011: $10 for each partner/member, per month (up to 5 months).
- On or after January 1, 2011: $18 for each partner/member, per month (up to 12 months).
S Corporation Penalty:
- On or after January 1, 2011: $18 for each shareholder, per month (up to 12 months).
You did not file a return by the due date on the Demand for a Tax Return letter. You may owe penalties and interest, even if your tax return shows that a refund is due.
25% of the total tax amount due, regardless of any payments or credits made on time
Get a free, detailed tax case evaluation! Get help with your FTB Late Filing!
Call us at (888) 515-4829 or go to trp.tax/start
If we cannot help you, we’ll tell you.
Going it alone? Check out our free tax help guide by searching “trp tax help guide” on Google.
Need a question answered? Comment on our YouTube videos and a tax attorney will answer.