Here we answer the question: Should I hire a tax attorney?
The answer depends on what you are looking for. There are even some situations where doing it yourself is easier. Here are some situations where you probably do not need a tax attorney to help you:
- If you have a smaller-sized tax balance and you are really not struggling financially, it’s possible a payment plan with a penalty abatement is the best you can get and you can just do that yourself pretty easily.
- If you are on a fixed income like social security and do not mind doing it yourself you probably will qualify for an offer in most cases if that’s your only income and these cases are easy to do yourself.
Here are some situations where you probably do want to hire an tax attorney to help you:
- You do not want to deal with the IRS at all.
- You are unsure what you owe and what years you need to file. But you know you got a debt.
- Your income varies and you have a good-sized tax balance.
- You are self-employed and your financials are complex and you have a good-sized balance.
For doing it yourself check out our guides at trp.tax/taxhelp.
If you would like for one of our expert tax attorneys to help you, schedule a consultation by going to trp.tax/start.