You may need to file some missing tax returns and thus order IRS transcripts. It is often easier to order IRS transcripts than it is to try and find old W2 or 1099 forms.
You do not need to file all tax returns all the time. You may want to call the IRS to see what they are requiring.
You can also consult a tax professional.
There are five main types of the transcript to order:
- Account Transcript – This shows what you owe and the basic actions on the account.
- Wage and Income Information – Shows income reported under your SSN or Tax ID.
- Record of Account – Shows a combination of Account Transcript and Tax Return Transcript.
- Tax Return Transcript – This shows what was reported on your tax return in a transcript format.
- Actual Tax Return Copy – An actual photocopy of your tax return.
These transcripts can be online through the IRS Transcript Tool besides the actual tax return copy. For an actual tax return copy, you need to fill out IRS Form 4506 and pay $50. Keep in mind they usually will not have tax returns or transcripts that are related to years older than 10 years.
What to do if you can’t order IRS transcripts online
Often the online system does not work for ordering transcripts. If it does not allow you to order, call (800) 829-1040. Get someone on the line. You can then order transcripts from them by fax or mail. For tax return transcripts, you can also request them by mail using IRS Form 4506-T.
Pro Tip: If you had state income tax withheld from your paycheck or made any payments to a state, you need to request from that state how much you paid for the specified years. This should be shown as payments on the state tax return. Some states do not automatically apply for payments.
If we are working on your case, we order the needed records in the first call made. If you are doing your case only, see our tax help guide for more assistance. If you think you could benefit from the help of a tax attorney, schedule a consultation with one of our expert tax attorneys here or call us at (888) 515-4829.